1-877-399-7299 Halton, Ontario

Frequently Asked Questions

Financial | Admission | Family | General | Nutrition | Programs | Recreation | What to Bring | Facilities | Healthcare and Medications

Here are the most frequently asked questions with answers about Hope Place Centres:


How much does it cost?
Programs are covered by the Ministry of Health as well as workplace benefits and personal funds. Exact amounts can be discussed with the Admissions Coordinator.

Can I come with no money?

Are there additional fees for me to pay?
There is a program fee to off-set the cost of recreational activities.

Will my insurance cover my treatment?
This will be determined by your individual insurance policy.

Do I need spending money?
Minimal spending money is suggested but not required.


What is the wait time to get in?
Wait times can change, please call to inquire.

How long is the program?
Women’s Treatment Centre program is 27 days, Men’s Treatment Centre program is 42 days.

Can I detox at Hope Place Centres?
No, we do not offer detox services.

What are the steps for admission?
Please call the Admissions Coordinator to begin the admissions process.

Do you share my information with anyone?
Personal information is only shared with the expressed consent of the individual.

Does Hope Place Centres accommodate wheelchairs, service animals, language and literacy barriers etc.?
HPC strives to accommodate all needs, please call to discuss your needs with the Admissions Coordinator.

Does HPC take clients with Concurrent Disorders? (Mental health issues)
Yes, clients with concurrent disorders are welcome at Hope Place Centres.

Can I come for a tour of Hope Place Centres?
In order to protect privacy we do not provide facility tours.

What does “clean & sober” mean?
To be “clean and sober” means that you are substance-free.

Family and Communication

Can I call and see my family while I am at Hope Place Centres?
Clients can make phone calls while in treatment. Scheduled visitations can take place after family members have attended the family program.

What support is available for family?
We offer counselling services for loved ones. Contact the Family Program Coordinator for more information.

Are there conjugal visits? (Can I have sex with my partner while in treatment?)

General Questions

Are you on a bus route and how can I get there?
Our Community Treatment Centre in Oakville is located along a bus route. The closest bus station is Bronte Go. The live-in facilities are not located along bus routes. You will be required to arrange your own transportation.

Can I smoke cigarettes or vape?
Cigarettes are permitted, vaping is not.

Can I work while I am staying at Hope Place Centres?
Clients attending live-in treatment are not able to leave program to work.

Is there a computer I can use while I am at HPC?
Computer access is limited and based on each person’s needs.

Are you hiring staff or looking for volunteers or student placements?
Positions are posted internally and externally as needed. We do not have volunteer opportunities. Please contact us for student placement opportunities.

Do you have retreats/workshops/seminars or training?
Additional programs are available, please contact us for more information and availability.

Do you offer day treatment?
We offer live-in treatment programs as well as individual counselling services.

How do I make a complaint?
Please contact HPC with any complaint or concern you may have and we will address your concerns appropriately and in a timely manner. Please also see the Complaint Policy in the Report Section of our website.


How do you accommodate nutritional and dietary needs?
Hope Place Centres strives to meet the nutritional and dietary needs of all clients. Please inform us of your needs.

Can I bring my own food?
All food will be provided by Hope Place Centres.

Do you have vitamins and supplements or do I bring my own?
Sealed vitamins and supplements can only be brought on site after they have been approved on your med form. Multi-vitamins are provided by Hope Place Centres.


What programs does Hope Place Centres have?
We offer gender-specific live-in and continuing-care programs as well as individual counselling services.

Will I go to AA or NA while I am at Hope Place Centres?
Yes, you will attend both fellowships during your stay at Hope Place Centres.

Is 12-Step based on religion?
No, 12-Step is not based on religion.

What is the difference between 12-Step and abstinence?
12-Step recovery is abstinence-based.

What does evidence-informed mean?
Evidence-informed means using the most current evidence from research, context and experience, to inform and improve practice and policy.

What is trauma-informed?
Trauma-informed means understanding, recognizing and responding to the effects of all types of trauma.

How long is the program?
The Women’s Treatment Centre program is 27 days. The Men’s Treatment Centre program is 42 days.

Do I have to read and write English?
We will do our best to accommodate language and literacy needs.

Can I come back to the program a second time?
Yes, clients may attend treatment again if necessary.

Why is your program better than other treatment centres?
We are better because our programs offer integrated addiction and stage one trauma treatment, and because many of our staff are also in recovery from alcoholism/addiction.

Can I leave early?
Yes, you can leave early however we strongly encourage completion of our program and will do our best to meet your needs.

What kind of counselling is available?
We provide group and individual counselling.

Is it co-educational?
No, Our programs are gender-specific.


Am I able to leave the property?
Yes, clients attend off-site activities as a group.

What recreational activities are available?
We offer many recreational activities such as swimming, movies, drumming, yoga, hiking etc.

How much free time is will I have?
Self-care is strongly encouraged and included daily as part of the treatment program.

Do you have a gym or swimming pool?
We have access to exercise equipment and swimming facilities.

Can I take pictures?
Pictures are not permitted in order to protect privacy.

Can I go to church?
You are free to attend church during your off-site visits.

What Should I Bring and Not Bring

Bring your positivity and a smile
A positive attitude can be contagious, a little goes a long way 🙂

How much money/bank card should I bring?
Minimal spending money is suggested but not required. Cash, debit or credit is your personal preference.

Can I bring my own bedding?
Bedding is provided by Hope Place Centres.

Can I bring my own car?
Clients are not permitted to leave their vehicles at the facility. You must arrange for other means of transportation.

Can I bring valuables?
We do not recommend bringing valuables with you however, you will be provided with a locker for your belongings that you wish to keep secure.

Can I bring a guitar/instrument?

Can I bring my own food/snacks?
All food will be provided by Hope Place Centres.

What if I forget something?
If needed, arrangements can be made to have items dropped off.

Can I bring my phone and computer?
Please discuss this with the Admissions Coordinator.

Our Facilities

Are you wheelchair accessible?
The Community Treatment Centre is wheelchair accessible, however the live-in facilities are not wheelchair accessible.

Will I have a roommate?
We offer private and semi-private accommodations.

Is Hope Place Centres in the city or country setting?
Both live-in facilities are in a country setting.

Is there laundry facilities and do they cost money?
Both live-in centres offer free laundry facilities.

Healthcare and Medications

Do you have Healthcare providers available?
There is a physician on-site weekly.

I am on medication-how much can I bring and how is it stored?
Please discuss this with the Admissions Coordinator. All medications are secured on site and dispensed as prescribed.

Do you allow medical use of cannabis
Medical cannabis use is on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Admissions Coordinator for information.

Do you allow drug replacement therapy or opioid substitution therapy?
DRT/OST/OAT is not permitted.

What if I have a sleeping problem?
Please discuss this with the Admissions Coordinator.